Max and Edna Berman initiated a meeting to form the Soldiers Point Yacht Club Members at their East Maitland home on March the 31st, 1972, inviting 11 founding members to join them in building a clubhouse.
Max was a local builder and was elected as the first Commodore of the Club and did much of the groundwork in obtaining the lease for the land, NSW Government grant and development approval for the building.
Edna was a long term editor of the Club magazine ‘Quadrant’ and was well known for her forceful editorial comment. She was an extremely active woman, still adventuring and scuba diving into her 80’s.
Edna passed away in 1996 and had instructed her daughter to provide an amount of $1500 to the Club, the interest from which was to be used to fund prizes for an unusual sailing event, the criteria being:
- To be a family oriented race, preferably a non-spinnaker social day
- Prizes to be awarded for the first three places, with the winners name to be inscribed on the perpetual trophy
- The race to be run on the day following the AGM or on the first day of the new summer sailing season.